Wow! A totally delicious quinoa salad with avocado! It’s bursting with flavour – a little sweet – a little sour. It’s such a good salad for any occasion. Plus it’s entirely vegan!
Making this salad is a bit tedious, as you have to cook the quinoa and chop the vegetables.. but it makes so many servings, you’ll be able to eat this a few more times throughout the week. I made this on a Saturday and I know I’ll still have some left on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday!
What you will need to make this quinoa salad with avocado
- Chicken broth
- Red Onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
- Sumac (optional)
- Maple syrup
- Lime juice
The first thing we need to make is the quinoa. Now a lot of people have a different water-quinoa ratio.. but I like to use 1 cup water to 1 cup chicken broth to 3/4 cup water. (So 1 3/4 cup of liquid in total). The broth adds a little extra flavour and some saltiness to the quinoa that really helps later on in the salad.
Place the water, broth and quinoa in a pot and bring that to a boil. That is when you want to cover it and turn it down to low for 15 minutes. This will make PERFECT quinoa that is fluffy and delicious. I like to make this salad during the morning or afternoon – this will allow it to sit in the fridge to cool down for dinner time.
While the quinoa is cooking, I chop up the rest of the vegetables and make the dressing. It may seem like a lot of dressing but honestly that what makes it good. It’s not overpowering at all but each bite has an amazing taste.
@kaliestephan quinoa salad with avocado. so so so good. #healthyeats #quinoasalad #healthysalads ♬ animal crossing ~ new horizons lofi – Closed on Sunday
Now when I made this recipe, I used measured everything by sight (except the quinoa) so these measurements below are approximate. Give it a taste to see if you think it needs a bit more salt or balsamic vinegar.
Hopefully you really like this quinoa salad with avocado. I know I truly did!!
If you want to try some low carb food ideas – check out my other website The Hungry Elephant
Refreshing quinoa salad with avocado. Really easy to make and full of flavour!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- Cooked quinoa
- 2 English cucumbers - chopped
- 2 pints (approx 300g each) grape tomatoes - halved
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 1/2 bunch parsley - chopped
- 1 bunch chives - chopped
- 2 avocados - cubed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1/2 tsp aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add the quinoa, chicken broth and water to a pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, cover and turn the heat down to low for 15 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool.
- Chop the herbs and vegetables. Once you chop the avocado, place it in a small bowl and add the lime juice. This will stop the avocado from browning too quickly.
- Place the cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, parsley, chives and avocados into a salad bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix the olive oil, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, sumac, red pepper flakes, salt and maple syrup.
- Pour onto the salad and toss to coat the vegetables evenly.
- Refrigerate until needed.